The end of this month [July] marks 6 months for me, post fast. [See Jan-Feb posts of this blog for more information about my 23 day supervised water fast.] I had been told by multiple people who had fasted before that my body would go through changes, especially in the year after my fast, and that I would be able to directly attribute certain things to having fasted. True and true.
I hesitate to post pictures of myself now, only because it probably won't look like I've dramatically changed on the outside. I have been working out [primarily lifting weights] 5-6 days/week. Just this week I took my body measurements. I really regret not having done that sooner, because I think measurements tell more truth than the number on the scale. Oh well, water under the bridge. I do still plan on posting a "Before and After, part 2" after a few more notable gains are made at the gym.
"Gain" is a good word to sum up my post-fasting experience. I have nearly doubled my PR for 5 minutes of straight push-ups, am closer than ever at finally doing a pull-up, and I have the highest vertical that I've ever had in my life [and still gaining]. I definitely like the results I am seeing. The majority of these gains have been earned in the last 2 months. April was a hard month for me: a death in the family, a last minute move, family drama, Michael leaving...life was happening pretty hard and fast, and I was not used to maintaining my weight loss from the fast. This ultra-dangerous concoction of events combined with a "desperate hunger pang" [worst excuse ever. I fasted for 23 days and I can't deal with an hour or two of hunger?] meant that I slipped back into my dear old nemesis: Salt.
Salt led to cooked food led to overeating led to weight gain. So I slid back a little, but I started May determined to climb back up. I had to learn the hard way [even though I had been lectured on it] that fasting is NOT a panacea. A healthy life requires healthy living. Period.
But just because I may have "relapsed" does not mean that my fast was worthless, pointless, or without significant results.
The most noteworthy thing that I've experienced post-fasting has been ZERO ZIP NADA ALLERGIES. This is huge for me! I've been eating primarily raw plant food for over 2 years now and, although every year I noticed a dip during allergy season, never have I ever experienced NO symptoms whatsoever...And I work on a farm! If ANYONE is going to have post-nasal drip, runny nose, sneezing attacks, itchy eyes, or all of the above, it would be ME [and it used to be me]. Not anymore. Everyday I am so grateful for this, and there is no doubt in my mind that it is because of the fast.
Another outcome, although harder to measure, has been my muscle gains. It's only been 2 months or so of intense working out for me, but I know that I have seriously improved in my fitness. I never measured my body fat %, and I just took my first measurements, so sorry, no good "then and now" comparisons, but suffice it to say that I've seen rapid improvements. [My favorite is doing tricep dips and seeing my muscle pop; it makes me say, "Why hello! There you are!"]
This next example may seem silly, but I think it's noteworthy. About two weeks ago I had a nasty fall and severely bruised my right knee and left shin. I was limping for the next 24 hours or so, but that didn't stop me from going to the gym [albeit to do an upper body workout]. I stayed active that week, but tried to avoid anything too strenuous on my legs/knees. Within a week I was operating normal again, hiking, bending over to harvest peas, running, jumping etc. Fully recovered in a week. I really don't think my tissues have ever repaired themselves that fast ever before.
For the first time ever my lady cycles are regular, light, and predictable, to the exact day. I don't have any signs of ovarian cysts, and my PMS symptoms are extremely minimal. I frequently have to remember how I used to suffer in this department, so as not to take my female health for granted.
Other than these examples, there are the usual results that I have to remind myself are of course important, but have just become so normal to me, it's hard to imagine that the majority of people out there don't experience them: fast growing hair/nails, clear skin, clean, easy, effortless digestion...reason enough right there to start eating better.
weeee :D <3 so happy for all of your positive accomplishments loverpants, i have to email you back, ive been so busy, merr!! OMG I SEE U SO SOON WEEEE <3 <3
ReplyDelete