Even though I live and work on a farm and know lots of local farmers who hook me up with deals, this is the first official year that I've made an effort on my own personal garden. Sure, there are tricks of the trade to having a "green thumb" but in practice, gardening doesn't have to be that complicated. When it comes down to it, it's really just: put a seed in soil, water regularly, give it sun, watch it grow. Soil fertilizer, composting, seed depth, pH levels, amounts of sun or water, are all factors that matter, and I would never plan on having every seed I plant produce fruit, but don't make it out to be harder than it really is...and if you're really nervous about starting something from seed and/or it's too late where you live to start something, then just cheat a little and pick up a starter plant at your local gardening depot! It's better than nothing!
Okay, enough of me imploring you to start a garden. It's just that I was scared [fear of failure] for the longest time to do it, even when I had plentiful resources, land, and experience, and now that I'm finally doing it, it feels so good to watch something grow and know that I am responsible for it. I can't wait to get a taste of everything here in another month or so!
One of my dozen or so zucchini plants. I have no idea how much of a yield to expect, so it will be a surprise!
The first tomato of the year! This was taken a few weeks ago...at last count I counted 17 tomatoes [there's probably more now]. These will no doubt be my favorite, I keep telling myself that I'll be happy with just one juicy heirloom.
I actually didn't plant these guys; there is a small boarder of strawberry plants around the corner of our house, which my landlady gave me free access too. They aren't ready yet, a little tart and definitely not big enough, but they will be soon!



No comments:
Post a Comment