Today I shared with my dear husband a long-standing Vasicek Family Tradition: trekking off to Barnes and Noble to cool off in lieu of not having A/C on an unbearably hot summer day. That's right folks. He makes me bear 65 degrees F or less during the winter months [to save on gas] and I make him bear 90+ degrees F in the summer [to save on electricity]. Not that we actually have air conditioning in the farm house we are renting...we have a swamp cooler [which I refuse to use], a fan, and good ol' fashioned windows. The huge problem with the windows however is that they ARE old fashioned; most of them are double-paned and therefore cannot be opened. Ohh what to do! We could hang out in our sketchy basement, which is easily 10-15 degrees cooler, but...it's sketchy down there.
Whenever I'm feeling physically overheated, all I have to do is recall the over 12 long New England summers that I endured without A/C. I am tough. I can do this. In Massachusetts it would frequently break into the mid to high 90s [just like this last week in Utah] with 80-90% humidity! Here in Utah we would be lucky to have half that much moisture in the air! It is bone dry [just ask my scaly skin], making the heat [in my opinion] infinitely more tolerable than any summer in Westfield. Having said that...today was pretty hot, so yes, we went to B&N, took advantage of their air conditioning, wiFi, and books. Don't judge us as moochers until you've faced the heat! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment