Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Perfect House

I fall more and more in love with the house we are renting everyday. Sure, there are definitely things that I won't miss when our lease is up: lack of dishwasher/garbage disposal, creepiness of the basement, no shower upstairs, no A/C, creakiness of the floorboards, tiny sink in the bathroom, double panes on most of the windows making it impossible to get a decent cross breeze...okay maybe there is a huge list of annoying things...but there is an equally long list of things I adore and that I will greatly miss. These include: my proximity to work, endless supply of organic vegetables and herbs at my disposal, access to a greenhouse, storage space for all of my food, and the big one, location location location!!


I think this is a poppy (?). There are dozens popping up around the perimeter of our house


Pretty iris' growing all around the house

 Words can't express how different it is living in Salt Lake Valley in comparison to Utah Valley. For one, the grid system makes sense for the first time ever because, tah dah! it doesn't start over with every town! Plus, I figured out that locals kick off the last two zeros, so 9000 turns into 90th and 900 into 9th. This blew my mind! For two, it feels "normal" and by normal I mean, not every facet of everyday life is infused with Mormonism. Sure, I'm still in Utah and things are still closed are Sunday, but I'm not driving by Missionary Malls and billboards for food storage and modest prom dresses and hey, I might even hear a few cuss words while out and about! I feel like I'm in a slightly censored real-world experience as opposed to an extremely censored, overly-controlled, guilt-causing, honor-code environment. I don't use the Trax that often, but it's nice that they are so close to me, as well as my gym and my grocery store(s). Salt Lake is turning out to be a decent place; now all I need is a winter sport to keep me busy when it gets cold.


Instagram photo I took of the field in my backyard. My workplace and my food supply in one.


Can you find the baby strawberries?? I can't wait to harvest these babies!


The sweetest, crunchiest, bestest sugar snap peas you will ever taste! All-I-Can-Eat-Style

When it does come time to leave this house, it's uncertain where we will go, but chances are we will stay close. Dare I call this valley home? This is a big step for me, people.
Just the other day, someone in a parking lot asked me for directions to the nearest grocery store. I gave them perfect directions without hesitation of the closest Harmon's and after they left, paused and smiled to myself, I'm becoming a local.

1 comment:

  1. I can't stop eating the peas!!! Jay is so excited about the pea greens, too!

    ReplyDelete