Monday, June 3, 2013

Sunday Hike

For the last few weeks, the prospect of getting out there and hiking has been such a tease to me. The beautiful Wasatch mountain range is literally in my backyard, staring at me all day, and yet, up until yesterday, I had yet to even find a trail head [of which there are many]. One of my goals this summer has been to hike 20 hikes, but every single weekend something has come up. I finally kicked the excuses yesterday. I worked in the morning out in the field, got some decent sun, then ate lunch and told Michael, "We are doing it. We are going on a hike." 
I decided to postpone the original hike I had planned and go for a slightly easier one to start: Bells Canyon. It's about a 5 mile round trip hike, with a nicely challenging climb at parts. It leads to a waterfall that was absolutely rushing this time of year, with all of the mountain snow melting. 
We both had never been there before, so when the trail split multiple times, we used our best guessing skills to decide where to go. We ended up hiking a mile or so too high, before deciding that it would be best to just turn around. We got to this huge boulder and spent some time taking pictures and enjoying the scenery before heading back. On the way back down is when we found our true destination: the waterfall. The wind was blowing huge gusts of mist our way, which felt so nice! The air felt much cleaner and the atmosphere much more pure where we were; it was the perfect respite from valley life, just what I needed.


I tricked Michael's camera phone to think I was in two places at once! View from the boulder


I'm glowing! Doing an Arnold pose by the river, reminds me of Costa Rica


Crazy rock formations at the top. In another life I think Michael and I were both geologists. We enjoy speculating about how and why rocks get to where they are



No comments:

Post a Comment