Thursday, June 13, 2013

No Excuses.

You know it's hot outside when you are more motivated to go to your air conditioned gym and sweat than lay around in your non-air conditioned house and sweat. This is me today, and predictably every day this summer. Thankfully, my job is mainly outside everyday, so I get my fill of nature and welcome the change to indoors.
 Last summer I struggled staying motivated to go to the gym because I had an office job in a complete ice-box of a building, and when I got off all I wanted was to be outside...or that's what I told myself. The reality? I enjoyed a daily breezy drive home with the windows rolled down before jumping back into my [then] air-conditioned house. Last summer was possibly the laziest of them all. I hardly hit the gym, rarely went outside for the occasional run/bike ride, and spent days worth of time watching movies. Sure, it could have been worse [it can always be worse], but really? Has my life really succumbed to the rare outing that I find myself breathing real oxygen instead of stale indoor air? Am I really living in Utah, a place renowned for it's natural beauty, and all I find myself doing is waiting for the next episode of a TV show to air? This is not how my parents raised me.

I implore you to get up, get moving, and please go outside! Or stay inside and lift some weights...but don't you dare look back at this summer and think, "Man, was I lazy." Whatever you're thinking, whatever rationale you have for not being active, it's just an excuse for your bad behavior. The good news? It's not too late to turn your summer around. Technically, summer hasn't even started yet!
I'm not denouncing movie entertainment at all, I'll probably be seeing Superman this weekend, just make sure you know where your priorities are. And whenever you have a thought sneak up on you telling you why you shan't or can't, remember: it's just an excuse. And squash it with action.


And just in case you needed a little umph of motivation, watch this short video. Even if you're not a Michael Jordan fan, you'll get the gist of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment