Today was our first day with our families!...I have to add here how jealous I am of Mimi, a Muslim girl from our group from Palestine, who naturally speaks fluent Arabic as her first language. Even though Darija is a different dialect, she can still get through so much easier. I really want to know this language fluently some day. One thing that has definitely worked to my advantage is the small guitar I bought in Rabat. My host family loves it. Everyone speaks "music"!
I have 2 host brothers and 3 host sisters. They are the nicest people and have so much patience with me! Everything about Loutichina so far is wonderful...except the flies! There are a LOT of flies, constantly swarming and landing on you. The people here are so used to them; I don't know how they do it!
DAY 14: LOUTICHINA
I barely slept because I had so much on my mind, plus the fear of scorpions, and I'm not used to sleeping on the dirt floor. The rooster crowed around 4AM and soon thereafter the flies started to swarm and everyone else was up making breakfast, getting water from the well, and other chores.
The language gap is SO frustrating for me. It's like culture shock all over again. In the city, we could go to the souk or talk with the Americans in our group. There was always a distraction. Here in the village though, the pace of life is so much slower, and you are hardly ever around the Americans so it forces you to learn the language. When you are with your Arab family, you feel so alone because of the language gap; you have so much to talk about, but no way to say it. On top of that, seeing a real family communicate only reminds you of your own family, adding to the homesickness...
...A few of us, myself included, broke down today. The worst was right before dinner; I couldn't hold it back anymore. Osama, my 4 year old brother, jumped on me and started kissing me. I don't know what I'm feeling, but it was too hard not to talk about it, so I spent the night at Bouchra's. I hope my family doesn't take offense.
My Little Ossama, voted cutest village boy!
I walked back to my house after a rough night and my family greeted me almost like nothing had happened (I think Bouchra explained everything to Mohammed, my father). They served me tea and hobz [bread] and soon all of the leaders including Hej [the guy who went on the pilgrimage to Mecca] came to say hello and meet my family. It was so nice to have a translator there and clear up everything with my family ["it's not you, it's me"].
DAY 20: LOUTICHINA
Everyday that I apply myself I learn the language exponentially faster! We had a great day today: weaving, lunch, English/Darija class, and then playing soccer. Natalie and I taught the English class for the kids today about Hygiene/Household Items. I dressed up in Bouchra's bright pink gelabo pajamas with my towel around my head and sunglasses. I acted out the items [toothbrush etc.] while Natalie said them and had the kids repeat. The kids got a real kick out of it! I found out later that it was semi-inappropriate to talk openly about "toilet paper." Whoops!
Making butter out of goat's milk with my sister, Hanen
DAY 21: LOUTICHINA
After dinner today, all the ladies in my house had a henna party! They had a pen and were doing cool designs; they were all ecstatic to paint me orange, pampering me with the cool mud. We had a lot of fun talking [or trying to talk].
DAY 24: LOUTICHINA
I slept like a baby, dirt pillow and all! I fell asleep to the dogs barking and didn't wake up again until the flies attacked in the morning! The rooster didn't even get to me! I am becoming so accustomed to life here.
It's hard to instruct someone how to use a camera when they've never seen one and don't speak your language :) ...17-year-old me coming home on the donkey
No comments:
Post a Comment