Today is our last full day in the village. It is very bittersweet. We threw a party for all of our families and attempted to cook "American" food [fried chicken, fries, watermelon, soda]. They all loved it! There wasn't a single leftover! The dancer's came out after we cleared the tables and performed for/with us and a band. It was so loud and hot - we were all having the time of our lives. After it got dark the party left, and things got confusing as I was saying goodbye to everyone for the night. I finally found Mohammed and Emel on horses waiting for me. When we got back, Hanen tucked me and Emel into bed. The light was still on and I could see Hanen crying. I tired to go comfort her, but she made me go back to bed, telling me that she is saving all goodbyes for tomorrow.
Hanen was my best friend in the village. She had the most patience, understanding, and tolerance of me. She helped me feel welcome in a place that was, at first completely un-home-like to me. She joked with me in ways that I could understand in a language that I didn't know. She made breakfast everyday and always made sure that I was fed and washed. I will miss her dearly.
Party!
All of the Americans on the last night
DAY 27: LOUTICHINA
I got up at 4:30AM. I was dreading the day ahead. Rhebha [my mother] was up and as I grabbed my bags and slung them over my back, she grabbed my shoulders/face to kiss me on either cheek a thousand times. She said, "Magrib sween, marhaba!" [Morocco is beautiful, you're welcome back anytime!]. I started to cry and kept repeating, "Shukran! Shukran! Shukran bzeff!" [Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much!]. Hanen walked me to the Association building where I was a little early. I wanted her to stay with me longer, but she had to go get on with her daily chores. I could tell she was going to start crying again and she wanted me to only see her happy, so she quickly hugged and kissed me before walking away...When the bus came, I got a seat in the very back and smooshed myself up against the window to say goodbye and get one last look at Loutichina. I waved to all of the villagers until they were out of sight, still crying, and then went through all of my pictures with Emily.
My family [left to right] Hanen, Emel, Rebha, Ossama, SiMohammed
Emily and I saying goodbye to some of the village kids before getting on the bus
No comments:
Post a Comment