Thursday, January 10, 2013

Fasting for Health vs. Fasting for Religion

I grew up in a devote religious family [Mormons], and although I do not follow that religion any longer, I still have immense respect for them, and anyone who considers themselves tied to a religious faith.
Growing up, my parents instilled in me from a very young age the importance of fasting. Fasting in our religion meant, the first Sunday of every month, abstaining from food for the first 2 meals of the day, beginning and ending your fast with a prayer and having a purpose to focus on during the fast. This could be something like, "I really hope my Grandma is feeling better soon" or "God, please help so-and-so open up to the word of Jesus Christ" or "Please help my children be at peace and not argue so much"...
I never really understood, let alone got a lot out of these monthly fasts growing up. This was probably because 1) I rarely remembered to start and end them with prayer and/or give them a purpose 2) I didn't understand how me skipping two meals would help any situation any more than just praying about it would and 3) All I remember feeling during my fasts was waves of intense hunger. The meal that broke the fast was always an especially huge Sunday feast of all the artery-clogging chicken and calcium sucking milky mashed potatoes with buttery-laden vegetables you could imagine. That was the part I looked the most forward to every Fast Sunday.

I still do not understand the point of taking a two meal hiatus, only to resume eating with the most insane abuse to your "temple" by gorging on these unhealthy foods, however, I still respect my family and friends who practice this. Now I just want you to understand that what I am doing in Costa Rica is completely different, and should not even be categorized the same as that type of a fast. You can find my reasons for doing my fast under my "Why Fast?" page, so I won't go into that here. What I am doing here is synonymous with rest. I am undertaking an intense physical, physiological, emotional, mental, and sensory rest from my nearly 23 years of not prioritizing my health. I realize now that health is my greatest possession. I realize the strong-hold that salty, fleshy, intoxicating foods previously had on me and I am forever ridding myself of these addictions, because they are additions.
 Jesus Christ, among many other religious and historical figures, are known to have fasted for 40 days and longer. As a kid, I used to think that the Bible got that part of the story wrong; maybe it was a typo and they meant to say 4 days. Now I know that one can fast for literally 40+ days and come out of it healthy, recovered, and full of vibrancy.  I do not doubt that these people fasted for as long as they say they did, and I do not doubt that my fast of 20-some-odd days will not hinder me in the slightest.

No comments:

Post a Comment