Monday, January 28, 2013

The Awesomeness of Post-Fasting

I have my first BM [bowel movement] yesterday since Day 1! Dr. Graham calls it "the blessed event" although the only thing really "blessed" about it for me was that it happened...and that it will only get easier. I'll tell you this much: it was definitely not watermelon. I feel a thousand times better now though, and am starting to feel true hunger coming back.
I wanted to create a list of all the benefits within these last 48 hours post-fasting that I've noticed. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely glad to have fasted. These are just some of the things I missed, or that have changed for me. I'm sure this list will become much longer in months to come.

-Being able to lay out in the sun for significant amounts of time without feeling drained. I love warmth and I love the sun. It was hard only getting 15-30 minutes a day tops while fasting and then having to stop around day 15.
-Using products [natural, non-toxic of course] for my skin/face. It was a personal decision, but I figured as long as my body is doing so much work, I don't want to get in the way. Plus, it's not like I was trying to win a beauty contest out here so I went make-up free. A little mascara goes a long ways when you haven't worn anything for a month! The only products I used during the fast was shampoo and conditioner...which leads me to my next thing...
-Being able to take showers!! Woohoo! This might be gross, but I only showered 3x while fasting. Ok 4, in San Jose I rinsed off, if that counts. Before anyone comments that I'm disgusting, I want you to try not eating for 23 days and tell me how much you feel like moving your body in any way. You don't. Plus, you are going to stink just the same in less than an hour after your shower...which brings me to my next point...
-I don't stink anymore! Ah, it's a beautiful thing. Eating fruits and veggies for long enough will make every bit of bodily fluid that comes out of you not smell bad [I know, I've been there] so starting to eat again is doing wonders for me.
-I can actually brush my teeth with toothpaste that lathers up and tastes minty fresh! No more nastiness in my mouth!
-I eat so much slower. I've always struggled with snarfing down my food, no matter what it was. Now, I can't help but go extremely slow, and I want to keep eating like that for the rest of my life. I want to enjoy every bite, as I truly am right now.

I'm still on watermelon, probably for another 2-3 days, although I'm hoping they give us some orange juice or mangoes in the near future! Vicki knows mangoes are my absolute favorite and she said, "Dot, they just came in this week! We had them last week and they weren't that good. This week they are perfect. You are going to love them!" And she's from Hawaii so she knows a good mango...

No comments:

Post a Comment